Thursday, February 3, 2011

A February Baby?

So a lot of people have probably been wondering whats been happening lately... so here I go with an update! I dont post EVERYTHING on Facebook because some people are frankly, too nosey. And a lot of people give advice and it turns into a big headache for me. Sooo heres the happenings as of lately for all my fellow blog readers! :)

For about 2-3 weeks now I have been dealing with itchy legs. I never thought much of it because I know that my legs are swollen and expanding with water retention so I just blew it off. Plus it says its very normal for right now. But then, about a week ago, my feet started to itch and the itchiness of the legs started to ween off. And when I say my feet itch, lets talk about the bottom of your feet itching... like the skin you CANT itch no matter how hard you try. So I tried everything from oatmeal baths, cortosone creams, benadryl, lotions after lotions with no relief. I finally called my doctor on Tuesday morning after getting about an hour of sleep because I was up all night with itchy feet. (and crying basically all night because it hurts so bad).

So they wanted me to come in Tuesday for some blood work for something called Cholestasis. Cholestasis is a liver disease that occurs during pregnancy for no known reason. It really doesnt affect the mother, with the only real known symptom being itchy feet and hands. The harm is more in the baby after 38 weeks. In I went, at about 10am. They told me that the blood work would take a day to get the results back. On top of that, Brynn was measuring small at about 33 weeks when I was 34 and 4 days. So they had me in yesterday for an ultrasound.

Brynlee is looking fabulous. Ultrasound tech said she has tons of hair, just like we always imagined her :) She was measuring a little small, but nothing at all to be worried about. Their estimating she weighs 5lbs 5oz right now. So cute! We got to see all her little fingers and toes, and of course, as always, she had her hands in front of her face. I swear she doesnt want to show off her cute face till she gets here! Wants it to be a surprise for mom and dad!

Anyways, back to the results... well after thinking I was getting them yesterday, we finally got a call at about 3pm today. And they still dont have them back yet. The nurse said that they sometimes take a bit longer for the bile acid tests so nothing as of yet. She asked if the itching had let up at all, and I told her not at all.

So we have an appointment Tuesday at 11:45. We should have the results back by then. The rundown is this, if I have cholestasis, they will induce me between 37-38 weeks to risk no harm to the baby. But on the flipside. If the itching doesnt let up, Ryan and I have decided to request an induction at or around 37-38 weeks. Neither of us will be able to hand weeks 37-40 not knowing if she is okay in there. Oh and did I mention they used the scary word? Cholestasis has an increase chance of stillborn after 38 weeks. Yeah, you heard me right, stillborn. So now you might understand why are going to be requesting an induction either way. (as long as the itching doesnt let up of course).

So to give you an idea of when that is... February 17th-24th would be the week of induction if I have cholestasis, and most likely the week she will be born, if the doctors agree with our decision. I will keep you guys updated!

This is not at all what we planned for as I was hoping for a drug free- no intervention pregnancy, but I guess they say in pregnancy, only expect the unexpected. And who woulda ever thought itchy feet would be the cause of all this? So weird, I know! We cant wait to meet you baby girl, and see all that long beautiful hair of yours! Were bringing our hairbrush :)

3 comments:

  1. Pregnancy can definitely be a scary experience! Especially when they use the scary word. You "3" hang in there, I'll definitely being saying extra prayers for you all.
    Jamie (it really is me this time, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah I love your blog! Complications at the end of pregnancy are always scary... I'm sorry to hear about yours. At the end of my pregnancy I developed Hellp syndrome which is basically a severe form of preeclampsia. Anyway you have such a positive attitude and everything is going to be ok. I also wanted a medical-intervention-free natural birth. But isn't it wonderful that we do have medical intervention in these circumstances? I'll keep you in my prayers and can't wait to see pictures of little brynlee! good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I know its so scary and you hear things happening to other people and when it happens to you it makes it so much more real! And yes Julie, its GREAT that we have medical intervention for times like these. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete