Thursday, March 31, 2011

Slacker.


I have been quite the blog slacker lately. And for that, I am sorry! I have been enjoying every little moment with our baby girl. Everyday I have been meaning to post and then the day gets away with me and Brynn wakes up, and I am not going to lie, I'd rather hang out with her than be on the computer! But hey, I found some time as Brynn is swinging so it's time for a 2 week update!

The last 2 weeks have been, amazing and challenging all at the same time. A good friend of mine, Shauny, told me about a book called Babywise. It is a sleeping/eating schedule technique that is supposedly supposed to get your baby sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. So I bought the book before having Brynn, and me being the huge avid reader I am (insert sarcastic grin here), I didnt read it till she was 2 weeks old. Go figure and go me. So I read it about a week and a half ago sitting on the couch one night while Brynn was passed out at 830... which clearly meant, mom and dad were getting no sleep that night.

The technique is basically this... feed the baby every 2.5-3 hours during the day, make them stay awake after a feeding even if its only for 5 minutes (we all know babies go into a milk coma after eating, so this is the HARDEST part), and then down for a nap. If the baby goes longer than 3 hours during the day sleeping, wake her up by tickling her feet, changing her diaper, wet wipe on her toes or head, anything to get her to wake up to eat at no more than 3 hours. Then at night, give the baby her last feeding of the night, put her in her crib and let her self soothe herself to sleep. Dont wake the baby up at 3 hours, let her naturally wake up to eat during the middle of the night. The hardest part again, is keeping your baby awake after each feeding during the day.

The outcome... well its been almost 2 weeks on this schedule. They say it takes anywhere from 3 days-2 weeks for your baby to really grasp on. And the point is to get their days and nights on point, because most newborns have them backwards, awake during the night and sleep all day. And Brynlee, well, she is doing GREAT on it. We really struggled the first few nights, not with her crying or being fussy because honestly, she is a great baby, but with the keeping her awake part. I know it sounds silly, but its hard! Now she almost does it naturally. Last night for example. I fed her at 10, she ate till 1030, went in her crib, slept till 12:50 and was up to eat. Ate till 1:15 and slept till 6:05 this morning. Ate till 6:30 and is awake right now in her swing. Now if she does what she's been doing the last couple mornings, she will be out in about 30 minutes till about 9am till her next feeding. She has taken to it really well, and me and Ryan, well we can't complain about getting 5 hours of solid sleep in the night! Oh and ps, 5 hours is a full night sleep in newborn terms, you are not supposed to let them sleep longer than 5 hours without a feeding, and if they do, wake them up!

Hopefully for all you new moms or moms to be that hate reading like I do, you learned a thing or two in this post, and let me know if you have other questions if you dont feel like buying the book :) I suggest buying it and reading it as it has a lot of great information and it's honestly, an easy read.

Besides the sleeping schedule in the last 2 weeks that we have been working on, the house going on the market is in full swing. Our realtor came over to take pictures and the virtual tour is officially on YouTube. Crazy! It will be listed after Ryan's parents leave town so we can get the house back in order and people can start coming in to tour. I am nervous about the house... the neighbors house behind us, sold in 3 days! I am really not nervous about the house not selling, I think it will sell. I am more nervous about how quick it might go. Quick means, we need to pack up asap, and live with my sister and Jeff for a bit till our new house is finished. Oh well, if it happens it happens, no way we can time it just right. Also, we have our design center meeting on the new house this afternoon, cabinets, flooring, countertops oh MY! :)

Well guys, thats about it for now... Brynlee is doing amazing, seriously the best baby I know. Doesnt cry, which scares the crap out of us to have another baby, because we have only heard her cry twice. She amazes us every single day with how much more alert she is, she's growing like a weed with her chubby little thighs that I could just eat up. Her facial expressions are classic as ever and we have captured some really great moments on video. I can't wait to share those with her when she gets older.

I will do a separate post with pictures of some of our best captures since she's been here! But for now... you get her 3 week picture! I can't believe she will be 4 weeks tomorrow!!! Time goes way to fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment