Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hello World

Brynlee Madison Lopez
Born March 4th, 2011 at 7:39pm
7lbs 6oz 19inches long

And so her story begins. On Thursday March 3rd I spent the day with one of my best friends Morgan who was in town from Chicago. We spent the day checking out the new house, shopping, grabbing lunch, and visiting Connor at the hospital. All day long, Morgan was telling me how she just knew my water was going to break when we were together. She went as far as saying, that she would google how to deliver a baby if something happened, haha, love her! I left her friends apartment at about 6:30pm and started my drive home. Ryan has class Thursday nights from 7pm-10pm. So I knew I was going to be home alone. We were scheduled to be induced in the morning so I wanted to clean up around the house and just get it ready for when we got home. I got home around 7pm. I was on the phone with my sister, chatting away. I felt like I had slightly pee'd my pants! So I went to the bathroom to check out what was going on down there. There was definitly more leakage than normal, but I didnt know for sure if it was pee or I had in fact broken my water. So I text Ryan and told him "honey, I think my water broke." He quickly called me, left class and rushed home. I started walking around my house to see if I would continue to leak and called the doctor. He told me to come in to make sure I hadn't in fact broken my water. I made it to the bathroom when suddenly, I KNEW my water had broke. It wouldnt stop coming out. I never had a huge "gush" of water but there was plenty to be had to know it was in fact my water. I couldn't believe this was happening! The three hours in a week that Ryan has school and I am home alone, my water has to break! At one point, it was me, Ryan, my mom and sister all on a 4-way call. Laughing about how this all just happened, and I packed up my cosmetic bag and literally, curled my hair. Yes, curled my hair! I didnt have anything else to do and I was stuck in the bathroom till Ryan got home haha!

We drove to the hospital and as Ryan only drove 10 over, he said he already knew what he would say to a cop if he got pulled over, haha! We made it to the hospital, and my mom met us in the parking lot with food, I didnt know for sure if I would be cut off from eating, so I had to get one last meal in! Mcdonalds happy meal it was!

We got all checked into OB triage, they confirmed it was my water that had broke, and we moved over to labor and delivery. I really couldnt believe this was happening. It was still very very surreal.

They started me on some pill that was supposed to help contractions get going. I was having some but nothing regular. The pill helped, but they really didnt hurt too bad yet. The next morning, they wanted to start me on Pitocin since I was still not having crazy contractions. I was dilated to a 3 by morning. (Getting from 1-4cm is the LONGEST part of labor). The pitocin started and a few hours later, so did the contractions, and they came on strong. At around noon they were getting very very strong. I knew I wanted to try to push as long as possible all natural. I just wanted to see how far my body would take me. I also wanted to get to a 4 (which is also considered active labor) before I had any pain meds. Pain meds can slow down contractions and I didnt want to slow them down before I was in active labor. So I went through 3 hours of horrific contractions. Horrible. No pain I had ever felt in my entire life. I was a champ at breathing through them according to the nurse! She asked me if I wanted an epidural, and at the end of each contraction I just kept thinking, I can do just one more. She told me it would take about 30 minutes to get the epidural ordered and in. I told her I would just give her a call when I was ready for it to be ordered, to give me 30 more minutes. After about another hour, I called her. And I wanted it NOW. When you are ready for the epidural, lets just say, you are READY. The epidural nurse came in, I couldnt be happier to see her. I was scared out of my mind for it, but knew once I made it through that I would be in a better place. My sister was in the room during the epdiural as well. Both Ryan and her were amazing. I dont know whoever said they dont hurt. I call bullshit. It hurt! Not as bad as a contraction, but it hurt. Once the epidural kicked in I felt a lot better. I had gotten a low dosage of the epidural because I told her I still wanted to be able to feel some pain. I am soooo happy I did that. The pain I felt during labor was still strong, but definitly bearable!

So around 3pm the doctor checked me, I was at a full 4cm and officially in active labor! Yay! The nurse came in around 2 hours later and told me, I had really progressed and was already at a 7! I was soo happy about that! At 6pm we had gotten a new nurse so she wanted to check me again just to see if I had progressed at all in the last hour. She checked me and I was still at a 7. At this point, I really started to get nervous. It was 6pm. My water broke at 7:30pm the night before. Typically they dont want you to go past 24 hours of your water being broke before they c-section you to eliminate the risk of infection. I only had 1.5 hour to move 3cm. EEK! I started to cry a bit and told Ryan I just really didnt want one. I had come this far. Dr. Wilson came in around 7:15pm. He said these words "I am really not impressed with your contractions, they are definitly strong but not close enough together for me to be impressed. I am going to check you to see where you are at and then we will empty your bladder." So on he went, checked me and looked at the nurse and said "you may want to empty her bladder now, there's the head!".... WHAT!!??! The head?! He let Ryan look and he was in shock. Dr. Wilson could NOT believe it. I was complete and her head was already decending down! The nurse quickly emptied my bladder and said we were going to begin pushing. Dr. Wilson had left and said he would see my in a while when I was ready to deliver. Most women push for at least an hour. So I got into position to push, she told me we were going to push on the next contraction. So I did. She said "umm okay, lets do that again, I think she is ready to come out, but lets do one more push before I call the doctor in." So another push I did... halfway into the push she told me to stop, she needed to call the doctor. Brynlee's head was literally halfway out. Dr. Wilson came back in (he was literally gone maybe 10 minutes) He laughed as he came back in and said, wow, this girl means business! So he geared up, I gave him another push. During that push he said "this is not a delivery for teenagers to watch, your making this look way to easy." And then this happened... he said "oh look we can curl her hair" as he gave her a little alfalfa. I was laughing so hard. Dr. Wilson, REALLY?! Your curling my daughters hair. He said "continue laughing and talking". And out she came. I literally, LAUGHED Brynlee out. The 2 nurses were in complete shock. And Dr. Wilson, just could not even believe what just happened. He said he had never seen a delivery like that. And the nurses said the same thing.

She came out and was just PERFECT. No bruising, no cone head. We didnt have time for all that! She knew when she wanted to entire the world! Exactly 24 hours and 9 minutes after my water broke. Dr. Wilson was honestly expecting me to have a c-section, he told me this after my delivery. He didnt think I was going to progress fast enough before we were out of time. Way to prove him wrong Brynlee!

And so the story goes on. I will post more later of our hospital stay etc. Here are some pictures of the delivery of our sweet, amazing, beautiful, breathtaking daughter. We are in love!

About 10 minutes before pushing!

Speechless.
Daddy holding his baby girl for the first time.The moment our lives changed forever. Never will I ever forget March 4th, 2011. We, became a family!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing story. She is such a blessing in your lives. God has given you the most amazing gift of all. You two will love her so much. She is a lucky girl. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this!!! Congrats again Sarah and Ryan on your new little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a "gift" created and a blessing as a result from your love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it...laugh Brynlee out! That's awesome Sarah. Congratulations hon!

    ReplyDelete